What a huge week for the age services industry. With the release of the Royal Commission’s Final Report, we achieved over 1,000 media articles across all major networks and media outlets. The key messages of the Australian Aged Care Collaboration’s campaign – ‘It’s time to care about aged care’ have been widely aired.
Thank you to all of you who have signed the petition, shared our pages and shown support for the campaign by sharing it with your networks. This week, as was our aim, the Prime Minister committed to major reform of the aged care system, beginning with the May 2021 Federal Budget. We need to hold them to account and highlight the issues and solutions across all areas of Government.
We now have almost 14,000 signatures to our petition, but we know we have a huge opportunity to do better. We again encourage everyone who has signed the petition to ask ten others to do so. People tend to act on the third time of asking, so send a reminder if you already asked.
We know you care, now show you care - Sign the petition and help us to call for more staff, better wages, more training, support and funding for your teams to do what they do so well - caring for older Australians.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
1. SIGN THE PETITION!
Go to careaboutagedcare.org.au and sign it today.
2. ASSIGN A CHAMPION
Choose someone passionate in your organisation (or in each location) to champion the campaign and ensure as many people from your organisation, networks, care recipients and families get on board as possible. Tell us who your Champions are so we can ensure they have the materials and information they need
3. SHARE OUR CONTENT
• As an organisation – share it with your staff, networks, families
o Newsletters and e-News
o Posters (A3 and A4 available from tomorrow)
o Social media
• As individuals – find 10 people to sign the petition
(and ask everyone else to do so too)
o Social media
o Word of mouth
Call to action - Sign the petition!
AUSTRALIA’S aged care sector has today united under one banner to demand that big-picture reform follow the recommendations of the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety later this month. Launching the ‘It’s Time to Care About Aged Care’ campaign, the new Australian Aged Care Collaboration (AACC) alliance is targeting key marginal electorates where more than 800,000 older Australians live, in an attempt to encourage the national Parliament to address the sector’s many challenges. The AACC believes an overhaul of the design, objectives, regulation and resourcing of aged care is urgently required if Australia is to deliver the care and services older people need and deserve now and into the future.
• Australia’s aged care system is in urgent need of transformation, with 16,000 vulnerable Australians dying in 2017-18 while waiting for a government-subsidised support package in their own home.
• An additional 100,000 people are waiting for home support at their approved level - with those in need of the highest-level packages typically waiting at least 12 months.
• Separately, a further 88,000 places will be required in communal Residential Aged Care over the next 10 years, at a cost of $55 billion.
You can read the full media release here.
The points below include lots you can be doing to get involved and support the campaign. We will hold a webinar on Thursday to talk you through the detail of your involvement and answer questions. It will be particularly relevant for Member CEOs with facilities and home care services in the target electorates for the lobbying campaign.
‘It’s time to care about aged care – Member briefing webinar’
Thursday 18 February
Things you can do
Here is a list of things you can do straight away to support the campaign:
• Share the website https://www.careaboutagedcare.org.au with your whole workforce, with clients, residents, families and volunteers and ask them to sign the petition – doing so will send them a confirmation email and will also send an email to your local MP highlighting the issue
• Download and familiarise yourself with the Report – It’s time to care about aged care
• Download the available resources here
o A flyer to help spread the word
o An email signature block to add to your emails
o Facebook cover photos and profile pictures
o Case study images for the campaign, to be used through social media
o Banner images for your website – link them to https://www.careaboutagedcare.org.au
• Send the website banner and details to your business partners encouraging them to show their support for aged care by including it on their website – ask them to link to the website and to sign the petition themselves
• Send details of the campaign and a call to sign the petition to the people in your care and/or their families
• Like and share the Facebook page and ask all of your staff, residents, families, friends, home care clients, suppliers, local businesses and community members to like the page and share it with their Facebook networks.
• Follow these instructions to add the campaign frame to your Facebook profile picture and encourage others to do so:
o Go to https://www.facebook.com/profilepicframes
o Click your profile picture in the bottom left and select your Page.
o Search for ‘I care about aged care’
o Choose the ‘I care about aged care’ frame
o Click ‘Use as profile picture’
• Like and follow the Twitter account and ask all of your staff, residents, families, friends, home care clients, suppliers, local businesses and community members to like the page and share it with their Twitter networks, if they have one.
• Share the social media posts – here is a posting schedule summary. We will update this weekly so you know what is being posted where.